Just 4 days before Christmas and a recipe for family New Year’s Eve is required, a recipe that can be eaten by everyone independently and of course is impressive and delicious. So my suggestion for this year is the vegan festive stuffed pumpkin with Mama Irene’s farmer trahanas. Smells like Christmas or does it seem to me?
The whole recipe, the photo and the text are by the beloved Eleni LittlehandsBLW and you will find it at the following link https://www.littlehandsblw.com/2021/12/giortini-gemisti-kolokytha-me-trahana/
- 250 gr farmer’s trahanas
- 5 small pumpkins
- 5 Tbsp.olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small leek (the white part), chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 45 gr pine nuts
- 60 gr dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ginger powder
- 5 cupsof water
- salt (for kids over the age of one)
How to cook:
- Preheat the oven at 180°C, set to fan.
- Cut the pumpkins in half and remove the seeds and fibers.
- Spread 3 Tbsp. olive oil with a brush on the inside of the pumpkins.
- Place them on a large baking sheet and bake them for about 45 minutes, depending on their size, until soft on the inside.
- When they’re ready, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Remove part of their flesh carefully with a spoon.
- Then, get ready to prepare the stuffing.
- In a wide pot or a large frying pan, heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and sauté the chopped onion, the garlic, and the leek, until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the pine nuts, the cranberries, the grated carrot, and the spices, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the trahanas, the salt, and pepper, and mix.
- Start adding water little by little and mix continuously for about 4–5 minutes.
- While it’s still juicy, remove from the heat, add the pumpkin flesh you removed, and mix well.
- Fill the bottom half of the pumpkins using a spoon, cover them with the top half, and tie with a string to avoid turning or opening.
- Put the baking sheet in a preheated oven at 180°C and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve while hot.