Traditional Hilopites” with lamb could possibly be the ultimate winter food and the best Sunday lunch! Slow cooked, melt-in-mouth lamb with the amazing Hilopites by @mamairenepasta, finally available in Cyprus at @alphamegacy supermarkets.
We are talking proper grandma meal. 🤤
Much easier to make than you think. Firstly you cook the lamb, and then add the pasta at the end. You can make it on the stove only, or both stove and oven to finish.
By Paola Papakosta @cypriotandproud
What we need:
- 1200g lamb shoulder
- 1 pack @mamairenepasta Traditional Hilopites
- 3 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bayleaves
- 1 cup “kefalotiri” grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to cook:
- Firstly, in a pan lightly hear the lamb in Olive Oil until light brown.
- Add the onions then the garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine for a few minutes until the alcohol evaporates.
- Then add the tomatoes, 2 litres of water and the bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper. Let it cook in low heat for 1 hour.
- Finally for the hilopites: heat olive oil in a pan and lightly sear them for better flavour.
- Then add them in the pot for 4-5 minutes and serve immediately.
Alternatively if you want to finish it in the oven: switch on the oven at maximum heat for 5. Then in a big pot add the lamb juice, the “hilopites” and then the lamb. Place in the oven and switch it off. Let them cook in the lamb juice for 15 while the oven is hot. Taste the pasta and if its ok serve with cheese immediately.
Save and Enjoy!